Challenge Book Trimmers
designed for the digital print environment, these book trimmers incorporate industry-exclusive modularity
CMT-330TC 3-Knife Book Trimmers
The new Challenge CMT-330TC has expanded capability to finish cut Landscape Formatted Books up to 12.1” (307mm) tall by 12.9” (328mm) wide and down to 5.875” (149mm) tall by 3.937” (100mm) wide. Designed and built in the USA, the CMT-330TC utilizes powerful hydraulic cutting and clamping pressure to effortlessly cut up to a 2” (50.8mm) thick book.
The CMT-330TC utilizes servo and stepper motors to accurately position books for cutting. Full digital control of the set-up allows book size changes in less than 6 seconds. There is no need to perform manual adjustments or exchange book clamps. The CMT-330TC exclusively features simultaneous in-line and near-line feeding capability. This allows the trimmer to automatically switch between feeding books directly from an in-line perfect binder or from a manually loaded near-line book pile feeder. If one system is waiting for the next book, the other system can feed the trimmer to provide maximum production throughput.
The CMT-330TC Trimmer incorporates the most advanced book trimming technology available. The new 10.5” color touch screen display, easy to use operator interface and smart diagnostic assistance makes the CMT-330TC the leader for operational simplicity. Automatic size detection of the pre-trimmed book makes job programming easy, requiring the entry of only three dimensions. Alternatively, the integrated bar code reader can scan the trim dimensions from a pre-printed barcode on the cover to adjust the knife settings automatically. Simply stated, the CMT-330TC is a fully automated book-of-one trimming solution.
- Capability to trim landscape formatted books up to 12.1″ (307mm) x 12.9″ (328mm).
- Full high-speed digital control for fast and accurate set-ups in under 6 seconds.
- Bar code system for fully automated set-up.
- Simultaneous in-line and near-line book feeding option to maximize utilization.
- Automatic size detection of untrimmed book blocks.10.5″ (267mm) color touch screen display.
- Precision knife depth control reducing cut stick wear and knife depth machine adjustments.
- Automated precision finish cut mode for jobs with large spine trim cuts.
- Live graphical display of book path.
- Thickness range up to 2″ (51mm).
- Hydraulic powered cutting.
- No tools or clamp boards required during book size changes.
- Integrated computer diagnostics with graphical display of sensor locations.
- Strong knife assembly and table support design to minimize deflection.
CMT-130TC 3-Sided Book Trimmers
Perfect binding has made great strides in recent years. Traditionally, short-run book trimming duties have been carried out by traditional guillotines but the process is time-consuming and wrought with possibilities of book damage due to operator error. Drawing on our 129 years of cutting expertise, Challenge has designed the ultimate book trimming solution necessary for today’s competitive marketplace – the CMT-130TC.
The sturdy steel and cast-iron design of the CMT-130TC ensures years of trouble-free operation. Hydraulic clamping and cutting action provides strength to cut up to 2″ (50.8mm) thick books without hesitation. Standard features such as UHMW gib surfaces, composite bushings, and stepper motor technology require virtually zero maintenance.
The industry-exclusive modularity of the CMT-130TC provides added possibilities for future growth within your organization. The system can be configured as a hand-feed off-line trimmer for entry level cost-effective book finishing. The high-capacity feeder permits up to 35.5″ / 90cm of books to be stacked and automatically fed into the trimmer. The vertical stacker allows up to 24″ / 61cm of books to be delivered. When these two items are combined, this near-line trimming solution permits the perfect binder operator to also feed and collect product from the CMT-130TC solution. The CMT-130TC can also be configured for in-line trimming by adding an in-feed conveyor and cooling tower to the system, giving the trimmer the ability to receive books directly from the perfect binder or from the book pile feeder. The CMT-130TC system is ultimately flexible to meet your book trimming needs!
The intuitive 10.5″ color touch screen controller provides a clear clean image of the trimming system. Automatic starting book size detection simplifies the required job parameters making job entry quick and easy. Swift size changes occur in approximately 10 seconds with no tools required! Standard barcode reading capability maximizes the efficiency of the process enabling the change-over between book jobs to be fully automated. No other book trimming system in the market can match the capabilities of the CMT-130TC system!
- Trim up to 2” / 50.8 mm thick perfect-bound books.
- 10.5” Color Touch screen controller with graphical display of the system with live book location.
- Fully-automated size change in under 10 seconds with no tools required.
- Modular design – can be configured off-line, near-line, or in-line at any time.
- Integrated bar code reader automates size changes between jobs.
- Process up to 200 books per hour – single book mode.
- Process up to 500 books per hour – optional multiple-book mode.
Contact Us for More Information
Contact us today for more information on the Challenge Product Line.